Monday, October 4, 2010

Machines For Seeing




When we were assigned this project, I felt like lost, in not knowing what to do or even how I would ever begin.  When we were suggested to go out and find items that are similar to machines, I went and bought several old polaroid cameras, lenses, binoculars, hardware supplies, etc...   I started by disassembling the cameras and other tools, finding pieces such as mirrors, structure, lenses and what not, where I would use these pieces to design and construct my machines.

My first machine, the machine for seeing, is the inside of one of the polaroid cameras where the first mirror meets the viewers eye.  I then constructed another mirror which reflects off the first and then reflects off a transparent sheet of acetate.  I then created a box that covers these parts and acts a structure and base to the machine.  

The machine bounces off a plain mirror, which bounces off a mirror portraying the main vertical, horizontal and diagnol lines portayed in the cubist painting by Juan Gris, "Glasses, newspaper and a bottle of wine."  The second mirror reflects off the acetate, which portrays a translucent picture of the painting itself.  After passing through the acetate, the view would focus on my landscape model, bringing the vertical elements and natural landscape all together, and resulting in the steps of how i created my landscape model from a cubist painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment