Friday, September 10, 2010

Juan Gris - Glasses, Newspaper, and Bottle of Wine


Landscape Model

 After analyzing Juan Gris' "Glasses, newspaper and bottle of wine"  and constructing cubist models, were were to design a landscape that incorporates the cubist painting and Le Corbusier's design elements from one of his buildings.  I chose to use the verticallity in my cubist painting represented through the lines, and extrude them to create rock walls along a seaside.  I also used natural elements of rock land, hills and mountains, straying away from the typical 90 degree angles and diagonal lines represented in the painting.  

I then incorporated Le Corbusier's Mill Owners Association building, using the facades to create structures for places to rest and get away from the sun.  

  I was thrilled when I was put into Prof. Carranza's Studio, for a few reasons.  I had no idea what he was talking about, and i knew it was going to be different, a challenge and fun.  Our first project, analyzing a cubist painting, was more like an art project, which I thought was an interesting and fun way to start off the semester.  I created several models that suggest and represent the ways I interpreted Juan Gris' "Glasses, newspaper and bottle of wine" Cubist painting.  Some ways were using the bold vertical lines and elements in the painting that resemble importance and catch your attention and creating depth and hierarchy in model  Other ways were putting myself in the artists perspective and trying to figure out which objects were closer than others and trying to interpret the use of space vs. object.  Some models represent this use of depth and closeness, while others represent layering and folding the pieces of the model to justify where the objects are in space.


2 comments: